The use of tunnel formwork is limited by specific design requirements. During the design phase of a project, the type of formwork
should be determined. Without early consideration for a standard repetitive design and planning, the economic benefits of tunnel formwork cannot be achieved. There are also additional limitations that must be considered.
• High initial make-up cost.
• Requires extensive crane time.
• Requires high degree of engineering supervision.
• Takes workers a couple of cycles to become familiar with system.
• Used mainly for buildings with repetitive rooms.
• Large and different shaped rooms may be difficult.
• Site must be accessible since forms are large.
• To make the initial costs worthwhile, there should be at least 100 rooms.
Can be used only on rooms with flat plate construction.