Commissioning Agent Costs
The following can be taken as a guide from GSA:
• Total building commissioning costs for (CxA) services can range from 0.5% to 1.5% of total construction costs (according to U. S. Department of Energy’s Rebuild America Program, written by the Portland Energy Conservation, Inc. (PECI)).
• The National Association of State Facilities Administrators (NASFA) recommends budgeting 1.25% to 2.25% of the total construction costs for total building (CxA) services.
• GSA’s commissioning practice is expected to cost approximately 0.5% of the construction budget for federal buildings and border stations.
• More complex projects such as courthouses could run
0. 8% – 1 % of the construction budget, and even more complex facilities such as laboratories can exceed 1%.
• Factors influencing commissioning costs include facility type, phasing 24/7 operations, the level of commissioning desired and the systems and assemblies chosen to be commissioned.
The above costs only cover Commissioning Agent fees. There are also costs to the Construction Manager, Construction Contractor,
Estimates of construction phase commissioning costs
Floor area in square feet
Figure 8.3 Relationship between the commissioning cost and the building area.
engineering office, and owner staff for sharing part in the commissioning process. The profile of these costs will vary depending on roles and responsibilities chosen. For a detailed estimate of professional service fees, an itemized level of effort needs to be performed based on unique project requirements.
The relationship between commissioning cost per square feet and the floor area is presented in Figure (8.3).